The International Institute of Knowledge Management (TIIKM) in collaboration with Concordia University (Montreal) is pleased to invite abstracts for its 7th International Conference on Arts and Humanities (ICOAH) 2020 which will be held on 17-18 September 2020 in Bangkok, Thailand. The theme of the conference is “Imagination and Freedom.”
We invite research and art presentations of all formats surrounding the topics of imagination and creativity, questions surrounding their nature, and the freedoms and restrictions society and the arts allow around them.
Imagination and freedom
Imagination is perhaps our most human capacity. We imagine to discover, invent, create, understand, form connections, acquire knowledge, think ahead, prepare for the future, and dream. Throughout history, imaginative thinking has led to revolutionary technologies, political and cultural reforms, ground-breaking medicine, new philosophies, as well as innumerable perception-transforming works of art, films, writings, and music, among a ceaseless stream of human creation. Imagination drives our grand inventions, knowledge, and experiences; and it also feeds our daily moments of enjoying a movie or a book, of communicating and empathizing with others, of making best guesses. It is arguably in our every thought—as writer S. Brent Plate poses, “we imagine, therefore we are.”
While imagination drives our creative and productive life, it flourishes most when free, authentic, exploratory, unharnessed, untamed by function or convention, illogical, nonlinear, and adventurous. When free, imagination is virtually limitless, instantaneous, and infinite. It can bring about newness out of nothingness. It can set our minds on new paths.
Collaborate and Explore
ICOAH 2020 will be a global platform for imaginists, artists, researchers, academics, educators, art administrators, policymakers, advocates, media specialists, cultural community activists, and social scientists to collaborate in exploring the nature and potentials of imagination. Join us and share your ongoing projects, creations, research, knowledge, questions, and experiences with an eye for insightful engagement with the many questions surrounding imagination and its roles in human life, such as (and not restricted to):
- What are some of the many roles imagination plays in human life?
- Is our imagination free?
- What do we know about our imaginative nature? How does imagination enrich our lives?
- How can we better foster imaginative being and creativity in education and in research?
- How can the imaginative arts contribute to knowledge?
- What is the role of popular media, drama, tv, movies, theatre, music in influencing our imagination and preparation for the future?
- How do we encourage and protect imaginative thinking and being?
- How does mainstream and governmental funding restrict or expand imaginative thinking and being?
- How is imagination connected to our individual and public health?
- What are the roles of imagination in learning morality, in compassion, in conflict resolution and peace?
- What are the roles of imagination in understanding and envisioning one’s connection to society, to the world?
- How can our imaginative nature help us in addressing our greatest cataclysmic fears (such as climate change, economic collapse, political strife, technological threats to human rights, cosmic disaster, etc.)?
These and all other topics in the arts and humanities are welcome!
Areas of research include, but are not limited to, any of the following areas:
Research / Creation in Visual and Performing Arts
- Dance, Drama, Film, Theatre
- Installation art, robotic art, bioart
- Music, music education, music and technology
- Jazz, classical music, popular music
- Sound design, electroacoustic music
- Sound art, soundscape
- Computation art
- Studio art, ceramics
- Drawing, painting
- Print media
- Fibres and material practices
- Digital humanities
- Ecological humanities
- Ethno-cultural studies
- Gender and Women’s studies
- Library studies
- Area studies
- Health humanities
- Medical humanities
Art in Society
- Art History
- Art Curation and Conservation
- Art, Society and Social Media
- Liberal Arts
- Area studies and Cultural Studies
- Art and Museum Management
- Contemporary Arts Practice
- Information and Museum Studies
- Folk and Traditional Arts
- Classical Arts
- Creative Writing
- Literature and linguistics
New Technology and Arts
- New Media, Internet and Digital Arts
- Moving pictures: Cinema, Film, Television, Video, Multimedia
- Design Technologies
- Spatial and architectonic arts
- The art of games and gaming
- Online Cultures, Social Networks and the Arts
- Multimedia, mixed media and multimodal arts
- The creative industries in a post-industrial or knowledge society
- Digital media arts and education
- Fashion Design and textile
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design
Journalism, Media and Mass Communications
- Media Concepts, Theories and Methods
- Journalism and the News
- Media’s Role in Public Relations and Marketing
- Media and Youth
- Insights into World Issues
- Studies Involving Social Media
- Insights into Social Issues
- Media Platform and Genre Studies
- Teaching and Learning Arts Practices
- Multimodal literacies, multiliteracies in arts education
- Literacy and the literary education
- Arts pedagogies
- Art history: purpose and pedagogy
- Creative arts in the humanities
- Art as self-inquiry
Humanities and Social Sciences
- Political Science
- Cultural Studies
- Literature and related disciplines
- Law and Justice
- Philosophy and Religion
- Political science
- Reconciliation and Peacebuilding
Please send us your art and research abstracts by 20th May 2020. All submissions will be evaluated in a double-blind review process by a committee of internationally recognized scholars. Accepted researchers must register by the regular payment deadline, 21st July 2020 in order to present at the conference.
Submit your abstract to : firstname.lastname@example.org
- What are the important dates I need to know ?
- What are the publication options I have ?
- Who is the conferences chair and scientific committee ?
- What are the benefits I will receive for the investment ?
- Are there any FAQ forum or how can I contact you?